Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Let's get cooking! :)

This inspirational video encourages cooking for healing.



From: BeamanGarcia  (Andrea Beaman)


It's amazing! When my husband and I first got together, I had no idea, really, how to cook. I knew I had to when we got married. Sure, I helped cook at Midreshet B'erot Bat Ayin when I went there during our long engagement, but since I had no clue what I was doing, I just kind of let whoever I was cooking with take over. She would usually assign me to chop veggies, which I'd done before. I still didn't know what I was doing when it came to the actual cooking part, i.e. how everything fit together; and I was always afraid of ruining food if I tried to cook. When I got back to the US, my then fiance just kind of threw me into the kitchen to cook dinner. Slowly, slowly, I discovered that, with enough practice, I could begin to make things up. That's hit or miss, though, and I've discovered that, for me to have almost guaranteed success, I have to follow a recipe. The bonus of using recipes is that I avoid getting stuck in a rut because I discover recipes online from sites like Food.com that have ingredients I would never have thought of on my own. How does all this relate to health? When you cook, you have complete control over what goes into your body, and it's good to experiment with a variety of foods to see what's healthiest for you. When you eat prepared food, there are so many added ingredients that you would never want to use in your own cooking, like high fructose corn syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment